Friday, October 05, 2007

Mixed Bag

Martino with his semi-annual cigarillo last summer.

It was a bonus weather day here in Maastricht – a perfect greeting for dear friend Carol Malkinson’s arrival from Minnesota. Once again, Barbara Greenberg graciously chauffeured me to and from the airport to greet a friend who’s come lend love and support. With a mint blue sky, we took advantage and walked immediately to the hospital where Martijn eagerly awaited Carol’s arrival. Unfortunately, the accumulated stress of lying flat on his back added to the fact that the hospital once again served a too heavy lunch impacted Martijn’s ability to digest food. Just as we entered we could see that from his ashen demeanor that things weren’t well and he vomited violently. Trooper that he his, we later joked a little that Carol evokes such a strong response from all her “men”!

But, I find this issue increasingly not funny. The trauma of the surgery is one thing, the prone position entirely another. I’m going to request a meeting with the dietary staff and either Martijn will agree to go on intravenous nutrition at least until he’s not flat, or we have to figure out how to prepare nutritious yet perfectly easy to digest meals. After feeding and settling Carol in back at our home I returned for a quiet afternoon snuggled against Martijn. Today they also removed his hydration IV so we’re able to hug and snuggle with less tube interference, albeit imperfectly. Now only his wound drainage tubes remain, a great relief as long as we can work out the nutrition issue.

Tonight I cooked up a yummy fully organic carrot, yogurt, honey and ginger (great for digestion) meal that I pureed and intend to proffer him tomorrow for lunch. Also, I’ll bring papaya enzyme which can help Martijn’s acid reflux in a most natural way. Isn’t it simply amazing that hospitals don’t integrate natural with medical? I really don’t get how with all the information on holistic approaches available that the medical field stays in the dark ages.

When I phoned for my nightly good night, Martijn thought he’d be able to rest better this evening. Please light your candles and send healing sleep his way. I will, too. Good night, sweet friends.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Susie&Martijn Just wanted to send some "positive vibrations" that direction to let you know that I have been thinking of the two of you,and hoping Martijn is doing a little better each day! It is wonderful of all the support you are receiving from friends near and far,to help aid in his recovery.I will be going to the The Great North Woods soon and I will do some drumming to help facilitate some good Karma from such a spiritual place! So I will keep checking your postings and stay in touch,my love to Martijn and you peace, Leonardus

Marieke said...

Dear Suzy and Martijn,

I admire your courage so much! And I think that the way you're dealing with this nightmare is attributing to the healing process itself. Food is so important for one's health in general, let alone the influence of food on a healing process. So I think it's really important you're conscious of this and making special organic food for Martijn. Really, if I see the amount of s*** that people eat sometimes...
I was very moved when reading the stories of the last two days. I could almost see you snuggling on the bed together, with all these damn tubes. I will pray (in my own way) for good results of the pathology test and I think the way you're dealing with this couldn't be better, integrating medicine and the natural.

Lots of love,
Marieke