Monday, October 08, 2007

Food for the Soul

High school days: Suze and Martijn together apart


The frontier here and now is adequate, digestible nutrition. Martijn continues to heal well, but true recovery means building up his entire system and food intake has become the single most stubborn obstacle. Today the mountain came to Mohammed. We finally tracked down his (very) young hospital nutritionist who readily admitted that there are terrible limitations in the hospital fare and not much room for change. However, after a lengthy discussion, Martijn asked the right question: what do you do when people are vegetarians? Ah ha, eureka - we have now changed his menu preference to vegetarian and the selection will include many more appropriate choices such as "Activa" type bio yogurts, omelets and other better choices. Tonight I prepared a tasty helping of lightly breaded turkey cutlets, marinated in a bio yogurt and tamari sauce, with steamed broccoli. Carol and I enjoyed it and tomorrow Martijn will have this warmed up. The following day his new regime should kick in so fingers crossed for a healthier change.

Meanwhile, we are still anticipating finding out more about the pathology of the tumor(s) late on Thursday.

Martijn was peacefully watching CSI on the telly when I made my goodnight call, hoping for a better rest. Carol and I are snuggling down for a quiet evening of BBC detectives. Today was a good day. I hope you had the same. Restfully, Susan

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

OHHHHHHHHHH Suzie you are so brave the two of you! I wish i was there to take you in my arms and hold you!
Yes you are lucky!Lucky to have had ,and known such beautiful love!
Life has made you strong...........and stronger you must be..for the road ahead.
My heart is with you and my hand reaches out to you....
Its ok .................
with all my love forever
your sister
Hannah