Thursday, October 04, 2007

Healing touch soothes horrendous tidings

Healing Touch

This morning an actual angel named Geraldine K. Hartmayer performed a profound healing on Martijn. In an astounding coincidence, Gerry “found” us just two days before she departs Maastricht where she and her husband, Bob, have lived for the past 8 years to move back to the States. Gerry felt compelled to contact me after she read an email I posted to members of my International Women’s Club (IWC) explaining Martijn’s condition and why I wouldn’t be attending any of the club’s various functions. Although her email moved me, initially I was not in a shape or mood to respond to her generous offer. That same evening, one of our most engaging neighbors, a young woman named Danielle, while walking her puppy, Xeno, literally ran into Gerry, who was out on her customary walk. Gerry asked if she could pet Xeno and for a strange and wondrous reason, Danielle told Gerry that she was very worried about her neighbor, Susan, who was herself so worried about her ill husband. Gerry asked if that was Susan Schaefer. Imagine this. When Danielle, in shock, replied, “yes”, Gerry asked her kindly to show her where we lived and to give me a personal note and brochure about healing touch. Not even knowing this part of this amazing serendipitous story, I called Gerry after Danielle got the note to me. The rest, as they say, is history. Gerry not only performed a deeply transformative healing on both Martijn and me, but later this evening, she hosted me at her rooftop home overlooking the River Maas, just two blocks from ours. Here, the third coincidence occurred. A meeting of healers was taking place, so Gerry introduced me to "The Healing Touch Program", a medically based energy therapy training program for nurses. It is considered one of the leading energy medicine programs in the world. http://www.healingtouchprogram.com I plan to stay in touch with energetic Gerry and these other women and hope to help one of them who would like to start her own clinic here in Maastricht.

Understanding the power of one’s self to heal from within will help lessen the shock of the details of Martijn’s surgery. One of his favorite surgeons, Dr. Keymueller, spent a lot of time with us just after the healing. While we still won’t have the full pathology report on the tumor itself for another week (due to the fact that the pathologists were attending a conference today), Dr. Keymueller explained in great detail about the surgery and the tumor. The tumor was at least 7 x 5 cm and had extended up from the anus into Martijn’s rectum, rectal lymph nodes, groin lymph nodes and his spine. Today I learned they removed his coccyx and a long section of his spine. She said they were astounded by how large the tumor was – this was entirely unexpected. She feels that they removed most of the tumor, and the lymph nodes that had been infected, but naturally she said they can’t be sure until they get the pathology report back, and even then, they will continue to check. She and we completely understand that right now the singular most important thing is for Martijn to heal from this traumatic surgery. Nothing else really matters.

Today, for the first time, I saw the size of the surgery on Martijn’s posterior. I will spare you the details. All I can say is that my husband has endured unimaginable surgery and is strong and stunning in his bravery and demeanor. Today they removed yet another tube, his catheter and now he’s darn proud to be peeing on his on. No mean feat when you do this while basically immobilized flat on your back. His humor is typical Matijn, his appetite continues to amaze and delight me, his pain is well managed, and he's in great shape for the shape he's in!

The plastic surgeon, who to me is like a zen master, is very pleased at Martijn’s overall health and progress, but he warned us that the next four to five days are the critical time for such “transplant” surgery – when the infections can set in. Yet, Dr. Keymueller reassured me that the very fact that Martijn is doing so well is an indication that even should the infections happen, they are well equipped to deal with them. The bigger problem is still that the inside tissue that was so damaged by the radiation needs to mend.

This morning’s healing was focused precisely on that problem. So, dear friends, we couldn’t be doing more, blending West with East, love with medicine, and faith with reality. Please keep your meditations flowing as we continue on this path to healing and hopefully to wellness.

Tomorrow another dear friend from Minnesota, Carol Malkinson, arrives to be with Martijn and me through this tense yet inspiring adventure. From the bottom of our hearts, we love you.

3 comments:

Olena said...

These coincidences just reminded me again of Paulo Coelho's words: "If you really want something to happen, the Universe conspires in helping you achieve it". I hope this conspiracy continues with the same pace, leading Martijn to healing.
Lots of strength to you both - you are an inspiration!
Love,
Olena

Anonymous said...

I am Happy to know you have found some peace and inspiration.I wish i could be there.Please know that my heart is with you both.I love you deeply.
your cuz
with all my LOVE
Hannah

Anonymous said...

Martijn and Susan,
I am reading about the healing touch and about your progress Martijn, I think that you but also Susan are very brave, FIGHTERS!!!
All the positive vibes from Skopje!!!
Hugs,
Bibi