Sunday, April 06, 2008

Trains, dreams, friendship

Martijn admires a model train exhibit on March 30th. This was his last outside walk before the lymph edema swelled his left leg beyond capability to take a walk. He loves trains and this painful trek was worthwhile. Look at that smile.
Barbara Greenberg outdoes herself again, baking Susan a spectacular chocolate birthday cake. Saturday was my birthday.
The best present I could think of was to buy us a comfortable, practical bed that will keep Martijn's painful leg raised. Here is the bed set-up team surrounding a smiling Martijn: his brother Janus, Olena Breyman and Maurice Schoffelen. Getting these electronic beds up a staircase and set up was a yeoman's work. 
But our hardworking team enjoyed the rewards of seeing these two bedbugs together. We hope that having these electronic beds will allow us to stay next to each other as our journey continues. 
With Martijn perched in his zero-gravity chair across the room, our hard working bed-team joined by Ursula Glunk (front right)  and Krista Knopper (under the artwork) for tea and Barbara's birthday cake.

Martijn and I try to keep our spirits. We face this journey with full knowledge that these are our precious final days together. We have been consulted by our wonderful general practitioner, Maurice Bom, who has been compassionate and honest in delivering the information of what we can expect as time passes. We are aware of various palliative treatments that should keep Martijn comfortable and pain free. Although this knowledge is shocking, we try to keep on living and loving since that seems the sane thing to do. We have had expected breakdowns filled with tears, and this is so good, so natural, so bonding. I have asked and Martijn has agreed to write me ten little stories from our cats point of view and to illustrate with his wonderful drawings. Tonight, at dinner at his mother's, she asked that we record his voice. I was touched to tears by this since it is his voice I think I shall miss the most. That gentle voice filled with wisdom and mirth and corny jokes and deep thoughts.

We are trying to discuss the weighty items that need our attention but this we find perhaps very difficult to do. And part of this is how and when to allow friends to visit without taxing our fragile cocoon. We shall do our best to do this well. I feel more and more embarrassed that people think I'm strong about all this. In my private moments I rant and wail, shaking like a leaf in a terrible storm at the pain and loneliness I already sense. I have no idea how my emotions will be minute to minute. It is Martijn who centers me and what will happen when that needle no longer points a better way?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

SUZIE
What wonderful family and friends you have there..
Beautiful cake looks Yummy...
(((((((((HUGS))))))))))
HANNAH

Anonymous said...

Live in the moment my sweeties...try not to worry about what might be's and how will I's...

When David and Claudia and MaryAnn and I had dinner we discuss the miraculous benefits of finding something you feel blessed about everyday. Even if you have to scrap it up with your fingernails...find that thing that you are grateful for. That idea has been on my mind ever since...a remarkable pearl of wise living over broiled mussels.

I wish for you to live like that from now forward. Find at least one thing you are grateful for everyday. Feel what you feel, wail and tremble, and find that blessing always hidden in the shadows.

Hugs and hugs and more hugs...

Michael...

Anonymous said...

What Michael said !!!

Happy Belated Birthday dear Suze.

Love from CT xoxox

Showering on you both from my heart and my cente with Light.

Anonymous said...

S&S here, to wish you Susan, a belated HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! Many mews, nuzzles and purrs. Much Love & many heart-felt prayers to you both. ---xoxoxo Snoepje & Steph

Marieke said...

Lots of love from Beirut! I think about and feel for you both!
Marieke