Sunday, December 30, 2007

Ordinary life in an ExtraOrdinary Way




It has been an extraordinary year with challenges and blessings beyond ordinary. But, what is ordinary in times like ours? My personal year was filled with the "extra" challenge of Martijn's cancer diagnosis, treatment, then the shock of the treatment failing to produce the desired results, the surgery, the fears associated with that, and now his astounding recovery. Compounding this journey were various hits and misses regarding my career. I was recruited for a number of top positions, including the role of CEO for an international foundation which I found to be a mismatch for my expertise and conscience. On the other hand I began lecturing for the University of Maastricht and consulting for the City of Maastricht and an international foundation based here in Maastricht, the European Centre for Development Policy Management, known in the international development field as ecdpm

But many individuals are faced with health and livelihood issues. One in three westerners is expected to have a bout with cancer in his/her lifetime, for example. And many people lose jobs or seek meaningful work. Given the emerging 'credit crisis' of the developed world, many now are facing more fundamental problems like losing their homes. So, regarding Martijn's health and my livelihood, we, at least, begin the prospect of the new year with extraordinary prospects.

During times of crisis most of us contract our personal universes, but I have tried in my most sincere albeit imperfect way to continually look beyond at the bigger world even as I felt consumed at times by my own particular situation this year. I managed two trips outside the region, the first for my CEO interview which took place in Phoenix, Arizona and during which I stopped by to visit with dear friends in Minnesota (which conveniently is a direct flight from Amsterdam). And, just before Martijn's scheduled surgery I traveled once again to Slovenia to be with my good friend Irena (see last blog entry), continuing on to holiday in Croatia. But during this 'vacation' I was also ill, and distracted by Martijn's condition, so I returned home earlier than planned for. I missed the 40th high school reunion of my beloved Girls' High in Philadelphia, even though I was originally one of its organizers, but have kept up with countless classmates who provided and continue provide extraordinary emotional support. 

As an inveterate extrovert, gaining much of my energy from external interactions, I sought and received much outside contact this year. We hosted many guests and I was especially grateful for visits from David Fey and Carol Malkinson from Minneapolis for my most vulnerable stage of Martijn's illness. And Martijn's family - mother Geri and Marcel, brother Jan and wife Irma, sister Elly and husband Paul, and brother Noel, and the countless stream of friends who came all were all extraordinary in their help and support. So, perhaps my ability to reach out and connect are a bit extraordinary.

I kept current on world events. In May I interviewed author Jeremy Rifkin penning an opinion piece scheduled to be published in January in the Philadelphia Daily News. I also wrote two additional Op/Ed pieces, one on Soft Power in Harry Potter, the other on the collapse of the I-35W highway bridge in my former home of Minneapolis for which I'm still shopping for placements. 

Is my life more complex than that of family, friends and colleagues? Are my beliefs and hopes and struggles and dreams any more or less ordinary than those of others? I don't think so. I merely think I live an ordinary life in an extraordinary way.

What is ordinary? We live in times defined by the ability to literally destroy the planet, or at least major portions of it. Einstein (and other of his colleagues who participated in the modern science that among other things spilt the atom unleashing just such a potential) realized that the atomic age brought forth the capacity for extraordinary menace as well as extraordinary miracles. Among his many quotes I find this one most hopeful: "We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them;" followed by this bit of sagacious advice: "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction."

So, I offer you my poem with images, to help you consider your own extraordinary self. It's not that I have any specific plan to help unite us, rather a small belief that we are each capable of engaging our imaginations toward moving the trajectory of this world in a direction of peace and abundance and acting accordingly. Many of us already are.  Next year I will focus on completing my Intentional Transitions book and workshops to help individuals who are ready, willing and able to do so.  Thank you for accompanying me on this extraordinary journey, I hope we continue together into 2008 and beyond!

No comments: