Monday, November 17, 2008

Home for the Holidays

My Philadelphia Family, August 2001: Martijn grins (left front) amidst our Philadelphia 'family' - behind him: Mary Grace Gardner, Rick & Ruth Snyderman and Linda Peck; next to me: Sally Eves, Robyn Frenze, Bob Ingram and Barbara Craig; standing: Jeremy, Peter and Alison Tasch, Sara and Allan Crimm.

With great emotional difficulty I depart my nest here in Maastricht, where Martijn's spirit provides a gentle glow, to head to my home town, Philadelphia, for some much needed R&R - rest and reflection in my case.  I arrive in Philly on November 19th and return to the Netherlands on January 7th. My Dutch residency is currently resolved allowing me to stay on here until 2010 and thankfully, the life insurance nightmare has ended. Now I can focus on fully on the depth of my loss and also on the abundance of my life - my friendships are greater than gold. Happily I will get to see and spend quality time with each of the friends pictured above, and many, many more.

My brother, Allen Schaefer, soon to be 81 years young!

I will be able to see my brother Allen, and his wife Beryl, with whom I have grown closer over the past years. I plan to see my cousins as well. It is my hope simply to experience my home town, to feel and to be. Once I am settled, I will write more . 

1 comment:

Marieke said...

Dear Suzy,

You're in the US now, I hope being surrounded by old friends and family is doing you good and is making it less difficult for you to get through the holidays. I'm here in Beirut, Jang and mom will come to visit. The weather is great of course, no rain yet. Everything's going well. I often think about you and read your blog. I'm glad the administrative issues were solved so you can focus on what is most important. Hang in there,

Love,
Marieke