Tuesday, March 11, 2008

The Last Leaf


William Sydney Porter, known in American Literature as O. Henry (1862-1910) was a prolific American short-story writer, a master of surprise endings, who wrote about the life of ordinary people in New York City. A twist of plot, which turns on an ironic or coincidental circumstance, is typical of O. Henry's stories. One of his most poignant is "The Last Leaf", the tale of painter who in a heroic gesture, saves the life of a character dying of pneumonia who is sure she will die once the last leaf on a trail of ivy outside the window blows away in the winter wind. Staying up all night the painter renders a leaf on the wall. She lives but the painter himself dies. Outside our home one of our newly planted thirty foot tall oak trees kept its lower branch of leaves all winter. I watched that cluster of leaves like O. Henry's character, hanging onto hope. Monday a week ago as I threw open our outer shutters I saw in horror that this cluster had finally succumbed to a terrible wind storm. It was the day Martijn asked me to feel the lump in his groin. Would that I could paint a last leaf to endure eternity.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh honeys...

I spent Sunday listening to a Josh Groban song with the lyric..."Keep me awake to memorize you" in it and I wept for you two for an hour. Such devastating news. Such deep and meaningful work...I ache for you both. And I daily send light to burn away this darkness in Martijn's body.

Michael

Anonymous said...

Sending Light and Love and praying you both be given the moment(s) of Grace... the Ones where you sense/feel/fully experience a Truer Reality...the Realization of Eternity in The Moment.

Love Never Dies

Loving Connection Is Eternal

How blessed to have you at his side.


Love from Bonnie in CT

You are imprinted onto one another's Souls