Thursday, September 01, 2011

Maastricht Revisited3

Around the City
My second week begins by tending to administration. I must see to my old health care policy, renew my NS (Nederlandse Spoorwegen) national train card (now also good on the buses), see about my Dutch status and telephone contract! Still, a nice walking tour of my old city.

Ubiquitous fiets (bikes) at the Central Station Maastricht.
Onze Lieve Vrouw (our beloved lady), the goddess of Maastricht. She shed a light of light in the dark days of Martijn’s illness.
Here I am with my dear friend, Ingrid Regout, who was the administrator in charge of our Master’s Program back in my ‘student’ days in 2004-2005.
Jens, my knight in shining armor. Dear friend and fellow student from my EPA Masters, now living in Aachen, Germany took me to a favorite tapas bar for great food and conversation.
As Jens walked me back to Ursula’s we got a great laugh: the butcher across the street places these cute penguins for an evening display! Brrrr! Cold meat inside.
Tuesday night I take a night walk, remembering the cozy terraces - here at Onze Lieve Vrouw Plein, lit for the evening.
Also on OLV Plein is my old academy for staying European Public Affairs and Administration, EIPA!
I worked for a year at ECDPM, the European Centre for Development Policy Management, working on their strategic communications plan and writing their Annual Report.
Behind OLV Cathedral springs what? A gelateria with a very red interior!!!
Ice Cream Catacombs anyone?
The old wall with battlements.
An interesting view of the pedestrian bridge arch.

A Late Summer Day at Pia’s
Pia lives in a small village just above Maastricht on the way to Valkenburg, Berg en Terblijt, is hilly and comfortable. We enjoy a sunny, warm day, good food, great conversation, a trip to the vet with the bunnies, and nice time with her sons Sebastian and Pieter.
The sun bath. Soft and welcoming we fall upon the pink and laze the day away!
Uh oh, bunny shots!
Pia prepares a Jamie Oliver crispy chicken feast.
Pia and Pieter
Off to the school the Dutch way
Pia comes to my aid helping uproot an Red Maple that didn’t survive. In its place we plant Salix caprea (Goat Willow, also known as the Pussy Willow or Great Sallow), a common species of willow native to Europeand western and central Asia , Martijn would love the fuzzy pussy willow buds.
Frogs forever frolicking.

1 comment:

Sis Carol said...

What a beautiful visit to your home away from home. Thanks for sharing it with me :)Luv ya, Suz!
Always, Carol