Saturday, May 30, 2009

Memories, memorials, movement

In Memory of the Valor and the Sacrifices which Hallow this Soil
reads the stunning monument directly behind me at the American Cemetery at Margraten, the Netherlands, a short drive outside of Maastricht. It was to this still and truly holy place that Martijn took each of our guests without exception. And on Memorial Day Sunday, May 24, 2009, I was privilieged to be the invited guest of Democrats Abroad to witness the stirring ceremony that each year marks the gratitude of the liberated European for their American liberators.

Dutch vetrans honor the 8301 known fallen American comrades and the 1722 MIAs.

The reflecting pond at the entrance of the cemetery

On the trail from Maastricht to Eijsden a wildlife area features wild ponies. Friday, May 29, 2009.

My life has been filled with memories, memorials and movement. I now walk twice a week along the lovely River Maas towards the village of Eijsden. I'm now up to 5 miles. The movement helps put my memories of Martijn into a perspective. We loved this walk, although Martijn's favorite was on the opposing bank of the river which is wilder and less used. 

The days here have been mostly stunning - azure blue skies and mild temperatures. Soon I will begin with a bit of consulting work - the first in a long, long time. The spring has provided me a gentler backdrop for my grief, which continues to lodge deep in my soul. Missing Martijn sometimes becomes so visceral that I quake from the sense of loss. Mostly I propel myself forward into time and space for that is what MUST be done. But I've learned that only those with this same experience truly understand the how mystical this journey is. 

No comments: