Wednesday, May 06, 2009

Going Dutch

Café Zondag, Maastricht, ©2006 Susan Schaefer

Dutch life can be very very good. It follows a different pace, more liquidy and in harmony with being in the present moment than life in America. I've written extensively on the perceptions of my life here, but I must defer to a more skilled hand than mine to give you yet another perspective. The incredibly talented writer, Russell Shorto, has penned piece that captures Dutch Life through his unique lens. Please click on Going Dutch and sit back with a really good cup of coffee to enjoy. Martijn discovered Shorto when he read a review of his incredible history of the founding of Manhattan by the Dutch, entitled, Island at the Center of the World. Who could have imagined an historic epic to be so entertaining? What is better than to learn and savor simultaneously? Martijn devoured this wonderful book which he presented to me as a holiday gift. I have read and reread it. Shorto's writing is pure joy. He's a writer's writer and so the book became for me at once a guidepost to better understand many aspects of my adopted country while also providing a benchmark toward writing well.

Please read Going Dutch. You'll better understand my dilemma as I try to create my future life. Together with Martijn the choice to remain here seemed simple. My plans to bridge my own and the Dutch cultures seemed prudent. I continue to work towards a resolution that will allow me to build that bridge. Meanwhile, have a good read.

No comments: