Friday, April 24, 2009

Nine Months

Monday morning, April 20, 2009. A lone duck ponders sunrise on the Jeker River that runs into the River Meuse (Maas). This spot is along the outermost of the city's old walls that frames a quaint park where we often walked.

It has been a very mixed week for me. I did not have any jet lag after returning from Florida and was able to quickly get back into a rhythm that included an early morning walk to the University of Maastricht's Business Faculty building where in I used to teach. Typically, there I would pick up the Wall Street Journal and Financial Times and chat with one of my favorite people - Karin Post, who worked the reception desk. Karin and I had promised to transform our informal morning chats into a lunch once we returned from our respective vacations. Monday, hoping to find her at her regular spot, instead I learned that Karin suffered a fatal heart attack while she was on holiday in Africa. The news impacted me hard - Karin had lost her husband years back and was one of those friends who knew what it meant to lose a beloved spouse. I grieve for her sons who are now without parents and for all who basked in her radiant good humor. I have lost a future friend and was deeply saddened.

Barbara Lukermann, Birchwood Cafe, Seward Neighborhood, Winter 2005

The news of the death of Karin Post followed the news of the death of my dear friend, Barbara Lukermann, who died in Minneapolis after her valiant struggle with cancer. I was so lucky to have Barbara in my life as a friend, mentor and colleague. She is legend in the field of Urban Planning and is widely recognized for her contributions to the Humphrey Institute, University of Minnesota, where her colleagues and students have honored her by naming a lounge center in her name. I will miss Barbara's gentle wisdom and friendship and offer my condolences to her family, friends, students and colleagues. A bright light has gone out. 

Marcel Winten and Geri Hermse Mullens, April 21, 2009, Eupen, Belgium

Tuesday Marcel and Geri kindly shuttled me to nearby Eupen, Belgium where my dear friend (and gynecologist) Christiane Schneider has her practice. As is always the way with Geri and Marcel, we made an outing of what turned out to be a glorious day. After my examination I treated them to a fine lunch in a lovely garden recommended by Christiane; then, we enjoyed window shopping and a drink on a terrace in front of Eupen's Cathedral (background).

Yesterday was Geri's 78th birthday and the day Martijn's monument was placed on his grave. We visited together making this heavy event easier for all of us. I prepared a very special dinner for Geri, and we dined by candlelight. I have grown increasingly close to my mother-in-law and her partner of 28 years, Marcel, and feel fortunate for this blessing.  

Tomorrow marks nine months since Martijn died. The time it takes to grow a fertilized egg into baby. Nine months brings forth life in human terms. My life is beginning to take on a new and different meaning. I'm so glad it's Spring. Sunday the entire family will come to celebrate mother's birthday. And, we will go to the cemetery together and honor our beloved husband, son, brother, brother-in-law, and uncle as one united unit. From death to life - then we will all go to a buffet in honor of mother's birthday. 
I decided to make a composite photo for mother which I had framed. The inset, the kiss, is from an outing last April, one of Martijn's last, to a small petting zoo in Born. The larger photo is from our first Christmas here and is taken in front of the Kasteel Hoensbroek. She was very moved by this gift.

No comments: