Wednesday, December 31, 2008

New Year's Eve 2008

New Year's Eve, with Suzanne and Rich, 1998


Ten years have passed since this photo was snapped. Tonight I sit in Philadelphia, my hometown. Martijn expressed a strong interest a few years ago in moving here with me. Now it seems I may make that desire a reality.

Since arriving here in mid-November, my days have alternated between very busy and totally still, drinking in memories and moments of Martijn. I have been blessed by the constant attention and care of many friends near and far, and even of strangers who have morphed into new friends during this transitional stay here in my hometown.

Today I have taken a serious step toward making the transition back to Philly. I have signed an agreement in principle on a lease/purchase of a unique loft/warehouse space in the Overbrook section of the city, directly next to the SEPTA Overbrook Train Station. The place is mine until summer when I will know if I can finance a mortgage. All of my friends who have seen this space agree it's totally 'me' and I know that Martijn would have loved such an original space and location with all its beauty and also its edginess, for edgy it is.

This decision will not come as a huge surprise to most of my friends since I have been talking about where it will be best for me. However, the decision to move still has some uncertainty. Should a concrete job offer occur in the Netherlands that has good promise for me, I will act accordingly. Beyond a doubt, though, it feels as if I will have better options being back in my own country. Hopefully, I can continue to bridge both continents whatever I end up doing.

So, I move forward acting 'as if' as the reigning wisdom recommends to do. Little by little the acting shall become more integrated, hence more authentic. So, I wish you each the brightest new year ever. Please don't allow the grim news to outweigh the positives that are possible. Remember that in America, Barack Obama, has become president. With your imagination, anything and all is possible. Just set your mind to it. 

Thank you for your friendship.

xoxxo, Susan

1 comment:

Olena said...

Lots of strength to you, Suzie, for making a good decision. I'm sure 2009 will be a year of healing for you.
Big hug!