Monday, September 08, 2008

Martijn's Letter to His American Friends


Martijn, summer 2007


Maastricht, Wednesday, 30th of April 2008

To my dear American Friends,

I can tell my deepest emotions in a few words: I really have become to appreciate you and your country. I met a lot of openness, had fun with you, and understand much better how your society evolved from the very beginnings. In these difficult political and economic times for you I want to say that there is quite a difference between a government and the American people. I have got to know you as so much more spontaneous, energetic and even more friendly than my own countrymen. Of course I had and have some serious criticism on how the system works, but I know a lot of you do too. But let me tell you this: almost every American visitor to us in Maastricht got by me the invitation to visit the American cemetery in Margraten (near to Maastricht) and Henri-Chapelle in nearby Belgium, where so many American soldiers died for the cause of real freedom in this continent. Maybe it because I belong to an older generation already, but I have always been aware of the terrible price your country paid on behalf of us. By the way, Maastricht was the first Dutch city to be liberated. I always felt at ease near to the dead in their graves: it is the mix of the consciousness of history, stillness, and the beautiful landscape that gives the feeling that we sense the bigger and sometimes incomprehensible whole around us. I got this same feeling many times when I was very near to nature when living with Suzy in Minnesota: the Indian Summer, the sail boats on the ice of Lake Minnetonka, or sauna near frozen Prior Lake. Thank you for sharing in the beauty of your people and nature!

No comments: