Sunday, August 10, 2008

Martijn's Memorials in Minnesota and Pennsylvania

Martijn gazes from the gate of Palageto,
over the hills of Fiesole to Florence, Italy below, summer 2005. 
This was a time of great happiness for us.

One journey ends another begins. More than two weeks have passed since I last held my beloved. This is the longest period of time I've ever spent separated since we joined as a couple. The loss is keen and deep. I will try to move forward since that is what Martijn wanted. He saw me with a new beginning; I could never share in this vision with him though I tried to smile and I made promises of things I would do in his honor. Now I shall numbly begin to fulfill those.

Here at home in Maastricht, it seems as if Martijn's spirit worked quickly to send me an angel so that I would not be alone - physically. A dear friend, Johanna, will stay with me for an extended time. Since the funeral, in fact, she has not left my side. Her presence is like a light in the darkness - she is at once lively and lovely as well as comforting and empathetic. We both were in need of someone to share a life transition with, and so she is here and will remain.

On Monday, August 11th, I journey to Minnesota, joining friends who have been a circle of love and support for almost 20 years. I will stay with David and Michael and Suzanne and Rich, seeing and visiting with as many friends as is possible. I hopefully will get to embrace the furry Miss Snoepje and her adopted mother, Stephanie, as I know Martijn would want. He was buried holding in his hands Snoepje's raggedy 'misela', her stuffed mouse which Martijn treasured as much as any of his possessions. A recent photo of her and another treasured stuffed toy also were lovingly placed in his coffin, as I know he would have loved.

A Memorial Service under the full moon will be held in Cottagewood on Lake Minnetonka's Sandy Beach on Saturday, August 16th at sunset. All are welcome to attend and invited to bring a candle to light. We will gather at the home of our dear friends, the Youngstroms, at 8PM - 4230 Mt. Curve, Deephaven, MN.

Then I journey to Pennsylvania to spend time with many lifelong friends, first journeying to the Pocono Mountains with my dear ex-husband, Bob Ingram, to be with my soulmate, Sally Eves. From there I will stay at the New Jersey shore with Bob until after Labor Day when I will go to my dear friend, Barbara Craig, in Center City Philly. Martijn and I always adored staying at Barbara's home. 

In Philly we will hold a memorial service on Saturday, September 6th at 7:30PM at galleries of our dear friends Ruth & Rick Snyderman, 303 Cherry Street, Philadelphia, PA. Again, all are welcome to attend.

Although Martijn was so modest, he would like that others could celebrate his life, and I know, support me as I walk this road without his constant and loyal presence and protection.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am sorry for your loss. You don't know me nor should you. I'm just stumbling through the internet and happened upon your story. Your writing style caught my attention and I must say that in some way I feel as though I know you now. You should take pride in your love and ability to express it so poignantly. Take Care.