Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Flash back

Susan in a real "Poodle Dress" with father, Jack B. and mother, Emma, 1953.

I wrote the following poem for my beloved father Jack as he lay dying in a hospital across from a lovely lake in Sanford, Florida. Dad died a courageous and graceful death from prostrate cancer. Like Martijn he kept his wits and humor about him until the very end. I think my love for Martijn stems in many respects from my love for my father who wanted to protect me from anything harmful. I hope you like my poem:


One Light

slowly slipping from me
your spark
that seminal flame
that lit me into being
and lights me still
is flickering
fading
slowly
your silver sheen pales

yet
I shine for you
in crystal tears
of parting
in golden comfort
of knowing
you’ll glow hereafter
you’ll glimmer
here
in me
father

©1982 Susan Schaefer, Ride the New Morning: Collected Poems

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Suze -

You are such a beautiful writer! I do like your poem and the picture - very much. I send you and Martijn copious rays of love-light, from my heart.

I am so moved by your words of loss and gratitude. I too am feeling such pain, for both you and Martijn. It is hard to even speak into what I feel because I know I cannot begin to know your grief. All I know, is that I am so grateful to see and hear you both in my mind's eye...sparkling there...for as long as I live. You are such dear people.

All My Love,
Anne

Anonymous said...

My thoughts and my heart are very much with you both.

What a beautiful tribute to your Love(s).

Wishing you comfort...Faith.

Bonnie