Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Local color

Here the new year has been marked by milestones as impressive to Martijn and me as the Castle at Antwerp shown here. Yesterday the hospital bed that predominated Martijn's study/the main guest room exited with two friendly Maastricht 'green cross' medical movers. Adieu, adios, ciao! We were grateful for a medical system that provided such service and are equally grateful that for now, Martijn has no further need.


Also significant, yesterday marked the beginning of my working relationship with European Centre for Development Policy Management, aka ecdpm, located 10 minutes walk from our front door over this, Maastricht's elegant pedestrian bridge. I'll be assisting the Centre with a range of strategic communications beginning with crafting a positioning document. The Centre has been around for 20 years doing the nearly invisible yet rather heroic work of making sure that countries from Africa, the Caribbean and Pacific, known as ACP, are properly informed and represented in European Union development efforts. The organization is modest yet mighty, and now they are seeking new ways to tell their story. I'm thrilled to be involved.

Next week I'll step back in the classroom facilitating an all day workshop for the Masters Students in the Marketing Department in the Faculty of Economics and Business Administration at the University of Maastricht, the department where I am a lecturer. During this long period of Martijn's illness and recovery I've been unable to assume my former role in the Department. Teaching this business communication skills course that I developed will feel like the clouds parting over Liege pictured here.

All in all, 2008 has been gracious to us. We hope it has been for you as well.

2 comments:

Olena said...

Dearest Susan,
You keep inspiring me with your energy and grace! Here's someone who I think could inspire you: http://www.ted.com/index.php/talks/view/id/204.

Lots of hugs to both of you!
Olena

Anonymous said...

hi cuz
sorry i haven t commented but was sick w/virus..has had me down for over a week..
glad to see you are both doing amazingly well!
Fantastic !the news of your new job...best of luck!!!!!
love ya
Hannah