Monday, May 09, 2011

Mothers, Moving, Minnesota

It has been seven years since Martijn and I moved from Minneapolis to Maastricht for what was supposed to be a few years of study, work and family reunion. But my beloved husband was not destined to return to the US. He discovered a small lump which grew into the cancer that reclaimed him to that place from where we all come and all go. How symbolic that his family, mother, Geri, step-father, Marcel, brother, Janus came to stay with me for a fortnight in Florida almost three years since Martijn's death. It was a poignant visit since Geri has been diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease. I tried my best to make their visit safe and sound in the brutal tropical sun and mostly succeeded. It was highly symbolic that they choose to fly Ft. Lauderdale-Minneapolis-Amsterdam and that after seven years, I had to finally fetch the belongings Martijn and I had left anticipating a US return. So, together I flew with his family heading to goodbyes and hellos. I bid his family goodbye at the airport, rented a car and began a bittersweet journey of collecting boxes ripe with memories of our life in the Twin Cities. With friends at each location offering succor and support I have made this a mission of endings and beginnings. I thank everyone for their love.

After two and a half weeks of adventures, my Dutch family heads back to the Netherlands. Marcel, Janus and Geri at the Ft. Lauderdale airport. I accompany them to Minneapolis where I begin the task of gathering the possessions Martijn and I left behind seven years ago.

First stop at Suzanne and Rich's. From our former home on Lake Minnetonka I head to our final Twin Cities home in the Seward neighborhood.
Next stop at Monica and John's who themselves are leaving Seward. My day was fraught with symbolism.

My lovely host, the Lady Diane
Last stop after two more along the way at a non-descript storage facility in St. Paul until I am able to sort and sift and make decisions.
The evening featured a gathering of 16 friends at Moscow on the Hill in historic St. Paul. Here are Kelson, dik and Carmen enjoying the feast.
The wonderful Carney family, Jules and Pat, host Heinz, Diane and me for the orphan's Mother's Day Brunch!
My "son" Daniel pays me a wonderful Mother's Day visit at Diane's who is hosting me this trip!

No comments: